One of the oldest watches in our collection, (at this time we ve only one older) this antique watch was made in 1799!
At the time this piece was created, watch movements and cases were sold separately. A watchmaker would craft each timepiece by hand, and then wholesale his movements to jewelers, who might either fit the piece in a particular case, or, allow the customer to choose a case and watch separately. This custom has resulted in many watches which bear the name of one person or maker on the movement and a different one on the case or face of the watch.
The movement of this watch is a fusee, a rare type of movement that runs not just on coiled springs, but also employs a grooved cone wound with a tiny chain, which coils around another post in a pulley system. Inspired by the winches and counter balances of the rigging of sailing ships, this method was used to refine the timekeeping of the movement by regulating the speed at which the mainspring unwinds.
This movement is inscribed with the watchmakers name, C Davidson, and home city: London. Research could provide no watchmakers registered in London around this time with the name of Davidson, however, a Charles Davidson, watchmaker was operating at this time near Dundee, Scotland. It can not be proved, but we believe that this watch was made in Scotland, but inscribed with the city of sale - London - instead of the city of manufacture - Dundee. There s several reasons that this might have been done, but the most likely is simply to fetch a higher price for a piece marked with the cosmopolitan city London ! This watch, like all fusee movements, is a key wind, and keys have been provided.
While the movement of the watch has some mystery to it, the case is a little more straight forward. Stamped inside the inner case are four marks. The center is the case-maker s stamp: BN. A lion above is indicative of Sterling silver, with a purity of 92.5%. To one side, a crowned leopard indicates a London origin for the case. This is a double cased watch, with a hinged glass cover and hinged movement. When we first opened this watch, papers were found tucked inside - these were not the usual watch papers included in the original purchase, but hand cut discs of newsprint that were used to pad the watch in the 1800 s. They appear to be from New Haven, Connecticut, adding another layer to the mysterious history of this antique piece!
While we typically provide a guarantee with our watches, this watch is being sold solely as a show piece. It will run for a short time if wound very gently, however it is very easy to overwind, and the watch should be displayed only for show.
Stamps and Marks:
Case is stamped: Hallmarks: Lion, Crowned Leopard, D. Maker s Mark: BN
Movement is marked: C.s Davidson LONDON 6899
Fusee Movement Measures 39.4mm round.
Case is 57mm round.
Condition: some cosmetic damage to porcelain face, one hand appears to be a replacement, case is worn, especially the base metal bezels. Sterling case is in good condition. Glass appears to be original and is in good condition with little scratching.
- We offer sizing on most of our rings.
- If the ring is an eternity band, has a continuous pattern, or if the ring has to change more than 3 sizes, please contact us so we can be sure it’s possible.
- Upon checkout, please make note of the size you need your ring order to be.
- Sizing typically takes an additional 2-5 business days before the item is shipped.
- Any rings over $1,000, we size for free. If the ring is under $1,000, please contact us and we’re happy to quote you for the sizing, or we can invoice you after the purchase. Sizing a ring down in size is typically $15.00 for items purchased through us. Sizing up is $15.00 plus the cost of any additional materials.
Returns & Exchanges
- If you receive an item and decide it’s not what you had in mind, you can return it for a full refund within 10 days. The 10 day refund period begins the day you sign for the package.
- We also offer a 30 day store credit/exchange policy for any item in the store.
- Items purchased through our payment or layaway plans are eligible for store credit/exchange returns only. Refunds will not be given for items purchased through layaway.
- Most items will be shipped using USPS Express or Priority mail, with tracking, signature and insurance.
- Fedex is available upon request and for an additional fee.
- Shipments within the US should arrive within 1-3 business days.
- International shipments should arrive within 5-14 days.
- Please allow us a 3-5 business day processing time after you complete your order.