The play of color in this free-form Australian boulder opal is absolutely incredible! Filled with electric emerald greens and iridescent blued, this stone is a small universe all on its own. It sits in a simple multi-prong mounting with one little gold leaf at its bail, allowing this spectacular stone to be the star of the show, truly once in a lifetime gemstone!
Boulder opals, as the name suggests, are mined from large ironstone boulders under the ground. Thin veins of colorful opal form in the cracks in these boulders. Because these veins of color are so thin, opal cutters need to leave the ironstone on the back of the opal to form a full sized stone. The thin layer of opal in boulder opals can display any color of the spectrum. Although the ironstone layer providing the backing to boulder opals may appear similar to doublets upon the first inspection, the formation is completely natural.
Due to the dark backing provided by the ironstone, boulder opals generally have a slightly darker body tone which leads to a vibrancy of color similar to that found in black opals. Boulder opals usually have a flat surface, due to the thinness of the opal formation, and are almost always cut in a freeform shape to maximize the size of the stone.
Metal: 14K Yellow Gold
Gem: Australian Boulder Opal 29.87 Carats
Gem Measurements: 28.1 x 38.7 mm, Fancy Cut
Measures: 30 x 58 mm, with bail
Marks: "QUIGLEY MASTER 14K" Stamped on the reverse
- We offer sizing on most of our rings.
- If the ring is an eternity band, has a continuous pattern, or if the ring has to change more than 3 sizes, please contact us so we can be sure it’s possible.
- Upon checkout, please make note of the size you need your ring order to be.
- Sizing typically takes 5-7 days before the item is shipped.
- Any rings over $1,000, we size for free. If the ring is under $1,000, please contact us and we’re happy to quote you for the sizing, or we can invoice you after the purchase. Sizing a ring down in size is typically $18.00 for items purchased through us. Sizing up is $18.00 plus the cost of any additional materials.
Returns & Exchanges
- If you receive an item and decide it’s not what you had in mind, you can return it for a full refund within 10 days. The 10 day refund period begins the day you sign for the package.
- We also offer a 30 day store credit/exchange policy for any item in the store.
- Items purchased through our payment or layaway plans are eligible for store credit/exchange returns only. Refunds will not be given for items purchased through layaway.
- Most items will be shipped using USPS Express or Priority mail, with tracking, signature and insurance.
- Fedex is available upon request and for an additional fee.
- Please allow us a 3-7 business day processing time after you complete your order.
- Custom orders, including semi-mounts, take 2-3 weeks production time before shipment.
- After shipment, packages within the US should arrive within 1-3 business days.
- International shipments should arrive within 7-14 days.
- Please contact us directly if you require an order within a specific deadline and we will do our best to accommodate you.
- Contact us to set up your layaway plan
- Layaway is available on all of the items we sell online.
- Typically layaway plans are four payments spread out over the course of four months.