One of only two Verge Fusee movements currently in our collection, this antique timepiece was crafted in 1814 in London, England.
The movement of this watch is a verge fusee, a type of movement that runs not just on coiled springs, but also employs a grooved cone wound with a tiny chain, which coils around another post in a pulley system. Inspired by the winches and counter balances of the rigging of sailing ships, this method was used to refine the timekeeping of the movement by regulating the speed at which the mainspring unwinds.
This movement is inscribed with the watchmakers name, L Hancock, and home city: London. Research shows that this was made by Luke Hancock, who was registered with the London clock and watchmakers guild at that time as having a work shop at 63 City Road in London.
While we know who made the movement, the maker of the case has proved more elusive. Stamped inside the inner case are various marks. The center is the case-maker s stamp: WL topped by a full bodied stag. A smaller W stamp indicates that perhaps this piece was made by the "W" of "WL".
To one side, a crowned leopard indicates a London origin and Sterling assay for the case, while the "T" stamp gives us the year of manufacuter: 1814.
This is a double cased watch, with a glassless cover and hinged movement.
While we typically provide a guarantee with our watches, this watch is being sold solely as a show piece. It will run for a short time if wound very gently, however it is very easy to overwind, and the watch should be displayed only for show.
Stamps and Marks:
Case is stamped: Hallmarks: Crowned Leopard, T. Maker s Mark: WL, Stags Head
Movement is marked: L Hancock, London 9699
Fusee Movement Measures 39.1mm round.
Case is 50 mm round.
Condition: some cosmetic damage to porcelain face, hands appear original, case is aged, especially the base metal bezels. Sterling case is in good condition.
- We offer sizing on most of our rings.
- If the ring is an eternity band, has a continuous pattern, or if the ring has to change more than 3 sizes, please contact us so we can be sure it’s possible.
- Upon checkout, please make note of the size you need your ring order to be.
- Sizing typically takes 5-7 days before the item is shipped.
- Any rings over $1,000, we size for free. If the ring is under $1,000, please contact us and we’re happy to quote you for the sizing, or we can invoice you after the purchase. Sizing a ring down in size is typically $18.00 for items purchased through us. Sizing up is $18.00 plus the cost of any additional materials.
Returns & Exchanges
- If you receive an item and decide it’s not what you had in mind, you can return it for a full refund within 10 days. The 10 day refund period begins the day you sign for the package.
- We also offer a 30 day store credit/exchange policy for any item in the store.
- Items purchased through our payment or layaway plans are eligible for store credit/exchange returns only. Refunds will not be given for items purchased through layaway.
- Most items will be shipped using USPS Express or Priority mail, with tracking, signature and insurance.
- Fedex is available upon request and for an additional fee.
- Please allow us a 3-7 business day processing time after you complete your order.
- Custom orders, including semi-mounts, take 2-3 weeks production time before shipment.
- After shipment, packages within the US should arrive within 1-3 business days.
- International shipments should arrive within 7-14 days.
- Please contact us directly if you require an order within a specific deadline and we will do our best to accommodate you.
- Contact us to set up your layaway plan
- Layaway is available on all of the items we sell online.
- Typically layaway plans are four payments spread out over the course of four months.